Sunday 29 January 2012

FIRST

This is my first EVER blog entry.

This forms part of my new year's resolutions, of which I happen to have quite a few this year. As a teenager, I was an avid diary-keeper. I made an entry almost every day (looking back, it makes for a rather cringe-worthy read. There certainly weren't many noteworthy things happening back then...). I can't actually remember, when or why I stopped. So, I've decided to resurrect this habit in this form.

And it starts with some great news:
Brighton and Hove Albion beat Newcastle 1:0 in the FA cup fourth round yesterday! For those who don't know: BHA play in the championship (i.e. second league) while Newcastle is playing in the premiership (and are doing rather well, there, too). So, basically nobody really expected BHA to beat them. The atmosphere yesterday was incredible and the chanting very loud!

Until relatively recently, I had never been to a football match and in actual fact, didn't fancy the idea of doing so either. In my mind, football fans were primarily hooligans and I was (seriously) scared to be trampled to death should I ever set foot into a stadium.
I'm pleased to say, that none of the above is really true. And nowadays I LOVE going to matches. The chanting, shouting and just the overall atmosphere is brilliant. All these fans united by the support for their team.
And I am just realizing that I find it impossible to put into words what it means to me and how it feels to be part of this.

Anyway, the seagulls won and in an hour or so, the teams for the 5th round will be drawn. Exciting stuff! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment