Tuesday 27 June 2017

The little things that make a difference

I love buying books. As a natural consequence, I was running out of bookshelf space and piles of books were spread around my bedroom. Last week, I finally managed to go to the local DIY store to get some wood cut for me to create a second layer of shelves in my IKEA Kallax shelf. I had done this before, when I had moved in here, but hadn't (no idea why...) bought enough for each compartment.

At the store, nobody was in the wood cutting section and despite ringing the bell twice, nobody appeared.I went back to the front of the store to check at the information desk whether anyone was there to help and was then promptly served.

On my way home, I was thinking how in the past, I would have - most likely - reacted quite differently. I would have been pissed off about nobody reacting, having to walk all the way to the front and then to the back again etc. And how that would have probably shown in my interaction with the shop assistant, who would in turn potentially not served me as friendly as they did.

And I would have blamed it all on them instead of recognizing the role I was playing in the scenario. Isn't it beautiful to recognize that so much of what you put out there, will come back to you? How we create the world around us?
It certainly made me very happy.
And my books are all shelved again. With some spare space for future book purchases.
Plus I paid €5.40 for four shelves. You can buy them online for about €17 each. Bargain!


No comments:

Post a Comment