Sunday 3 April 2016

another world

Since moving to the UK for my studies after school, I feel that my life has been made up of different worlds. With every new phase, new people and new experiences entered my world but in general, all these different worlds (often marked by a life in a different city and even country) exist within me, but with little overlap.

On the one hand, one of the lessons I learned for myself over time, is that different people bring different things to my life (and hopefully I to their lives) and it's ok that they exist in parallel. And while far away, my friends are still with me and distance is certainly not an indicator for closeness.

On the other hand, I am now realizing that not being able to share one of my worlds with certain people also makes me sad.

Of course, I have felt language to be a barrier on many occasions. To this day, I feel an inability to express myself properly in German as well as English. Maybe communication is my problem rather than language...

But since moving back to Germany, I am also appreciating my language skills so much more. Switching with relative ease between languages depending who I am speaking with is very much a gift and at the very least is opening two worlds for me. Two worlds that will stay separate to a certain degree though.

No comments:

Post a Comment