Sunday 27 May 2012

More childhood memories

Every household seemed to have one. It didn't come out very often, and it was always a special treat: the waffle maker! After moving to the UK, I realized that waffles don't seem to be part of a British childhood. Or at least, it was really difficult to find an affordable waffle maker anywhere. In the end, I bought one (an American one) over ebay:

It came in this nice packaging.

I'm usually too lazy to get it out, but today I really fancied some waffles. I tried this apple and cinnamon recipe from the manual that came with the maker:

120g self-raising flour [I only had plain flour, so simply added a little bit of baking powder]
pinch of salt [I always wonder whether this really makes a difference - it's only a pinch after all!]
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 egg
200ml milk [it said whole egg in the recipe... but I interpreted it as milk]
1 medium sized apple, grated
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp cinnamon

Sift the flour into a bowl. Mix the sugar, salt and cinnamon with the flour and make a well in the centre [again - what's the purpose and will it make a difference?]. Add the egg, milk and oil and whisk together. Finally, add the grated apple. The plates are non-stick, so you don't need any butter or oil.

And then enjoy:





No comments:

Post a Comment