Friday 25 May 2012

Way up high

A little while ago I told you about the Overcome the Fear of Flying CD* I had bought. I listened to it once (and couldn't even finish it...). And that was that. Even though I was fully aware that I was safely lying in my bed, the gentle voice which was telling me to imagine being on a plane and to start believing that even major turbulences would be OK, induced a certain level of panic.

A friend of a work colleague will be attending one of British Airway's Flying with Confidence workshops. Having considered one of those for a while, I looked into this.With £249 (including a flight at the end of it), it is actually less expensive than I expected.

Having had to fly to Germany a couple of times in the past weeks, I just had to do it anyway. And I thought to myself: I believe that such a course would help me. Because I know that my fear is irrational. So, why would I need somebody to explain to me that flying is safe. When I already know.
So, I've been making an effort to 'cure' myself from my fear. And I can see a little progress. Take off is still the worst bit of it all. And the little turbulences when breaking through the clouds, still make me want to take an oath to never set a foot on a plane again, but I managed not give in to the rising panic. On my most recent flight back to London, I even found myself enjoying the views at some point. The whiter than white clouds, the amazing blue sky were simply beautiful.

And here are some impressions:



Don't you just want to get out and touch the clouds?


This is all you get nowadays. I used to love plane-food!!

BTW, anyone who has any advice on how I will become a confident flyer: please do not hesitate to contact me!

* The Deep Sleep CD by the same guy still works wonders for me. So much so, that I wonder whether I have gotten slightly addicted... When I don't listen to it, I am finding it difficult to go to sleep and I never seem to sleep right through the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment