Saturday 12 May 2012

Emirates Air line

With more than 100 posts, I have lost oversight a little - so if I've written (ranted...) about this before, I apologise.

what a beautiful sky - can you spot the Emirates Air line in the distance?

In 2010, plans were announced that a cable car would be built, which would be ready in time for the 2012 Olympics. The aim seemed to have been to help with the increased number of passengers during the games as well as providing London with  a cable car like in Barcelona or Singapore. Having been on both these cables cars, I think I can safely say, that the London cable car will be nothing like them.

The car operates between Royal Victoria Dock (where I happen to live) and the O2 Arena car park on the Greenwich Peninsula. It will cross about 1km and it will take about 5 minutes to do the crossing. As per usual, the original estimate of costs was far off the mark and have increased from £25 million to currently £60 million. I don't think it's yet clear how much a crossing will cost, but they are planning to enable passengers to use their Oyster card as well as taking their bikes on it.

My main question is this: why would anyone want to use it? Other than for a one off? There is nothing much at either side of the stops. Royal Victoria Dock is close to the Excel Centre, where some of the Games will take place. And there are a few hotels. But that's it. Then there is always the O2 Arena on the other end of it. It takes about 10 minutes to get from Royal Victoria to North Greenwich by DLR and tube. And I am assuming this is cheaper than the cable car.

I am also unclear on what the views will be like. And anyway, will anyone go on it for the views, if the ride is over after 5 minutes already? (admittedly, the Barcelona cable car ride is only 7 minutes, too - but much nicer things will await you at the end of it).

Well, I might be proven all wrong. We shall see.
And I have to admit that it looks quite neat - especially on a sunny day like today:

The cabins on their trial run



No comments:

Post a Comment