Wednesday 17 February 2016

gathering

After the hoodie, I decided to go for this dress which was meant to be very easy. Not sure whether it was my choice of fabric (bought here in Rosenheim! At Karstadt) or (more likely...) my sewing skills. But what was meant to be simple, caused a few issues again. And while it is frustrating, I am also very pleased when it worked out in the end and I have a garment I actually want to wear.

Issues this time:
- the gathering is meant to be created by inserting a piece of elastic. I tried three times and let me tell you: removing a thread is such a pain! I don't know whether I didn't stretch the elastic enough, but the gathering (around the tummy) that was created just didn't show very much at all. In the end, I decided to create the gathering by inserting two threads, and pulled them into the desired gathering and that worked quite well
- the neck facing was super bulky and looked shit. I spent about 10 minutes unpicking the neck facing and managed about 3 stitches during that time. So, I simply cut it off in the end (yes, patience is not my strength. but practical thinking is!). Now that the opening is wider, it shows off the strap of the slipdress I have to wear with it, due to the fabric being a bit see through. But I think I get away with it.


When worn, the tree pattern of the fabric doesn't really show but I think the colours still make it look nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment