Sunday 14 February 2016

hoodie up

After a bit of a sewing break, I started back up with this hoodie. Which turned into a bit of a tricky project:

Firstly, I had planned to make a hoodie dress but then realized that the sweatshirt fabric I had bought in Walthamstow, was not wide enough. I worked out that I would just about be able to make the hoodie and only by slightly shortening the sleeves.

Off I went and cut the different parts. A per usual, I didn't think about the sewing process at this stage. I really need to get better at this! Cause, I then realized that I had cut two left sleeves. Argh.... Of course I didn't have enough fabric left to cut another right sleeve. So, I had to shorten the sleeves even further to create one.

Next error: I also cut two left sides of the flipping hoodie. Same problem as above but fortunately, the hoodie had a generous size and I was also able to make one of the left sides into a right side.

Lastly: the buttonholes. I only ever did those in my sewing class two years ago. For once, I took the time to practise on a piece of scrap fabric. Feeling confident, I took to the hoodie. Finished both holes. And then realized that I had put them on the wrong bit. Argh again.
Again, I was lucky though, as I had sewn them onto the bit that folder over, so you cannot see them.

In the end it all worked out and I am actually quite happy with the result:

I am quite pleased with the lace details, too :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment