Thursday 25 October 2012

Bourbon Street, Po' Boy and Street Weddings

New Orleans was very humid on most days. There were a few days, where it was pleasantly warm, which was very nice coming from grey, rainy and cold London. The Convention Centre is massive. I walked many miles, up and down the exhibition hall. I don't quite understand what the hype is about regarding Bourbon Street - it stinks of piss and booze. I don't know whether things are very different now after Katrina or whether we didn't get to see the nice and interesting parts of the city, but overall I wasn't very impressed.

While I wasn't impressed with the city, I did like 'the' Americans. Everyone was so friendly. And it was infectious - isn't it much nicer to have a nice little chat to people? Not every chat has to have 'deep meaning' but it just makes life a bit more pleasant, I think.

Most of my lunches consisted of Po' Boys: a traditional sandwich in Louisiana on French bread. And no, French bread is not the same as a Baguette. They were yummy!

On Saturday we had a bit of free time and were wandering around the French Quarter. And came across a number of wedding parties: bride and groom (all dressed up) and guests dancing and singing through the streets. How cool is that?! My colleague already said that she now wants to get married in New Orleans.

Overall, we spent all day in the Convention Centre, and while jet lag wasn't too bad, I did usually end up in bed by 10pm. So, maybe I missed out on stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment