Sunday 21 July 2013

Did you know?

That there are only pebble beaches in Nice? When I first came and found out about this more than 10 years ago, I was very surprised and disappointed. After all, Nice is famous as a seaside town! The beaches are packed nevertheless, but personally, I would always prefer to go a few km further east or west to enjoy the sandy beaches nearby.


We didn't have time for a swim, but it is of course obligatory for me to at least dip my feet in the sea, when I am at the seaside. Despite more than 30C, the water wasn't particularly warm...

Secondly (and I only found this out during this recent visit), the people of Nice have their own language: Niçard! It has strong Italian as well as Corsican influences. Even though it is only spoken by a small minority nowadays, all street signs are in both languages and announcements on the tram, for example, are also made in both languages:


No comments:

Post a Comment