Sunday 28 July 2013

Let's not talk about Kevin

I had been meaning to read the book or watch the film for a while. So, when my book club picked 'We need to talk about Kevin', I was very happy with the choice. Until I started reading it.

Well, that's a bit harsh... I can't say that I 'enjoyed' the book. Given the topic, that probably wouldn't be right. for those who haven't heard about it: the book consists entirely of letters from Kevin's Mum to his Dad. Starting with her pregnancy until the current day, when her son is in prison for shooting a number of people at his high school, she reflects on her time with Kevin.

First of all, I found the book very difficult to read. Lionel Shriver writes in long sentences and uses lots of words, I don't know. And I am too lazy too look up words in a dictionary... It took me a while to get into the writing style. Secondly, it's of course not a happy story to read. Can children be born evil? And what do we do, if our child turns out to be evil? It's quite heart-breaking to read about her struggle to come to terms with motherhood and her failed attempt to build a relationship with her child.

The story finishes with a surprising twist (at least I didn't see it coming). Overall, I think it raises interesting questions. In parts I found the description of Kevin too exaggerated, especially when he is still a baby and toddler. I find it difficult to say I would recommend the book. I guess I would, if you know what it is about and want to read about that kind of stuff. I certainly do not want to watch the movie though. The pictures I have in my head from just reading it, are horrible enough.

Next up is Salman Rushdie's book Midnight's Children. I've never read anything by Rushdie, so I am looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment