Wednesday 18 June 2014

Listen up!

You know this situation, when you are having a conversation, and you get the distinct feeling that the other person isn't listening (properly)? I encountered this recently. What I couldn't figure out though was, that the person generally seems to remember what I've said and refers back to it in other conversations. Nevertheless, he just seems to uninterested while I am talking.

I was talking to a friend about this. She had been on a training session with work, and as part of that, everyone was filmed and they watched everyone's video back together. One of her colleagues was shocked at how dis-connected he came across! He kept saying: but I WAS listening. And still it looks as if I wasn't paying attention at all.

We are of course all aware of what an important part body language and facial expression play but this goes to show, that we can just as easily misinterpret the other person's body language.

No comments:

Post a Comment