Monday 9 June 2014

The man who pays his way

Cathay Pacific hosted a networking event at the Weston Roof Pavilion at the Southbank Centre. On the second level they have an exhibition about China going on. Nice photos, some of them great - but really just a very small selection on display.

In addition to really great canapes, Simon Calder gave a short talk about his recent trip to China. I have to admit that I had never heard of him (not surprising given that I don't read any newspapers, nor listen to the radio) and had to google him... I enjoyed his talk and he was really funny. And what a great job he has! I find it quite amazing that he insists on paying for his own travel and not upgrading but flying economy.

On his website he says:
"At The Independent (where I have now been on the travel desk for so long they call me "senior travel editor”), I have the strap-line “The man who pays his way” because I don't accept free transport or accommodation from the travel trade. As a result of this somewhat curious and eccentric policy, I tend to meet a lot of very interesting folk. The people with the best stories to tell live life in the cheap seats."

I'm not sure whether the amount of money you have stands in relation to how interesting your life is or what kind of stories you tell. And I wonder whether he's ever flown business... also during a long-haul flight, you wouldn't want to talk to your seat neighbours - you would piss off everyone who wants to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment