Monday 29 June 2015

Hello from Germany

I still have to catch up on a lot of stuff from the previous weeks, but I'll start with Saturday - the day of the big move!

A took me to the airport and of course I cried. I am a girl after all! But again I felt strangely calm leaving my place and I think it might be, because I know I will be back. Well, not to that particular flat, but back to London. At the airport, I of course picked the slowest check in queue. I didn’t mind though as I was three hours early for the flight. When it was finally my turn, I was told that I had two kg to many (across the two suitcases I had paid for). I was so tempted to just pay the £65... but after the check in staff’s encouragement, I went away and managed to squeeze another two kg from one of the suitcases into my hand luggage with the promise I wouldn’t have to queue again. So, off I went – but of course the couple I pushed in front of weren’t best pleased. Well, what can I say: same thing had happened to me, so I didn’t feel bad.

All checked in, I headed to Giraffe for food. And started chatting on whatsapp throughout the wait, which reinforced my thought that while I might be alone here in Germany, I won’t ever feel lonely, with my friends all around the world being there for a chat.

I then slept through most of the flight and was greeted by S at Munich airport. I still cannot believe my luck and will be forever grateful that she came back all the way from Frankfurt to pick me up AND carry my heavy suitcases up two floors to my new (temporary) home. As well as stopping at the supermarket for a quick shop of the essentials – remember, shops are closed on Sundays!

Now that I’ve moved it feels strangely ‘normal’ – as if it was all meant to be. I’m not sure my brain has fully processed that this will be ‘home’ for the foreseeable future though.
The flat looks exactly like in the photos and I already feel at home here. Not for good, I shall add. The prospect of living in a bigger place with sufficient space for my clothes, my sewing machine and of course all my lovely friends who will come to visit, is one of the things I’ve been looking forward to.
After unpacking, I then met S and her friend F for dinner and chats at an Italian place. When I got home at around midnight, I was ready for bed. Well, I first read the two leaving cards I had gotten from friends which of course made me cry. But mixed in with the sadness of missing them being around me, they were really tears of joy of having such incredible people in my life!
Unfortunately, there are no blinds in the place, but as luck has it, I packed one of those airline eye-sleeping masks, which are really essential unless you want to get up super early. To my surprise, there’s more noise from the street, than there was in my old place in London! And I couldn't find my earplugs...


there will always be more cloud pictures!
More to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment