Tuesday 30 June 2015

How tiredness can mess with my brain

After an emotionally good start to my life in Bavaria, I woke up on Tuesday morning feeling really grumpy. I had gone to bed at 23:00, feeling really tired but somehow couldn’t go to sleep for hours. The bed isn’t the most comfortable. In fact, the mattress which is made up of three cushions like pieces is way too soft, the pillow to big and firm. And with the earplugs in, and my eye mask on, I became paranoid about not being able to hear anyone breaking in. I must have eventually drifted off, only to wake up at 5am... I nodded off for a little longer and when I woke up, I saw my friend’s friend’s message saying that she was cancelling meeting me. Needless to say that this didn’t cheer me up...I was thus in a ‘F*ck all of this’-why am I doing this – mood.

The logical side of my brain was still working though, so I set about doing my ‘task’ for the day, which meant signing up for health insurance. And just chatting to the nice man, who was also able to find my social security number in the system, cheered me up. I then decided to go a little bike ride. Despite pollen everywhere, my hayfever wasn’t too bad and I really enjoyed the ride and the beautiful landscape, with the alps in the not so far distance. Everything was quiet and peaceful with only few other cyclists around.

For the rest of the afternoon, I am trying to resist the urge to nap, as that would most definitely mess with tonight’s sleep. And I better not be grumpy on my first day at work. First impressions and that...


No comments:

Post a Comment