Sunday 9 October 2016

Die Netzwelt

And another example of my forgetfulness... or maybe rather my inability to remember names, play titles, stories etc. My brother suggested some culture during my weekend at his. Which of course was an excellent idea. The opera that was on, didn't take his fancy though and I googled for plays in Frankfurt. And suggested two, of which he picked one that is called Die Netzwelt by Jennifer Haley. After my brother had booked the tickets, it dawned on me that this might just be the play The Nether, which I saw in London last year. As the German summary was just as vague as the English one had been, I didn't recognize it instantly.

Having said that, I actually thought it was a great experience to see another version. I recall at the time, that one of the reasons I felt particularly uncomfortable was, because I had convinced a friend to come along, who was training as a play therapist and who is a very sensitive person. At first, she hadn't wanted to come for financial reasons, even when I offered to pay for her ticket. I felt absolutely terrible for having talked her into joining us.

It remains an uncomfortable play but somehow I was able to shake the discomfort, as I already knew how the story would evolve. The actors were incredible and we had amazing views from the front row (in a tiny theatre). The child in the play was played by a young adult actress who did a brilliant job at appearing child-like. While the girl in the London play was indeed still a child, which added to my discomfort for sure.

I also loved the staging: the stage was divided into two spaces. The investigation room, which only had a chair in it. And then behind that, an behind glass, was the virtual world. Very cleverly the glass turned into a mirror when the investigation room was used, which meant that you could see yourself as well as the whole audience, prompting that question of: what would I do? How do I relate to what is going on? Becoming more involved than being a mere spectator.

The play in London took place in a bigger space and I was sitting further back, which of course quite literally changes your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment