Wednesday 12 October 2016

mentoring

I watched Whiplash the other day. The film won 3 Oscars in 2015. It's about a young drummer who goes to an elite music school where he encounters a teacher who has quite a cruel way of drumming knowledge into his students. To be honest, the story line didn't particularly interest me - but how wrong I was. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

Most viewers, I assume, feel that JK Simmons goes completely overboard with his teaching methods. And I would agree. It did remind me of: "Every action has a good intention" though - which is surely the case. He makes himself believe that only this way of cruelty will lead to truly outstanding performance. And I did ask myself whether the student would have achieved what he did, had he not pushed him like that. Secondly, it's of course scary - but also an old story - how the students did not stand up to him. Them against him - but they were all scared of losing their place.

Lastly, while I am not a jazz lover, I have to say that I did even enjoy the music!

No comments:

Post a Comment