Saturday 21 February 2015

A week of extensive networking

Dinner at the Hilton Olympia. Starting off with the receptionist not being able to find my reservation. As luck has it, my room (when they eventually did sort me out), was literally the furthest away from the lift. And as I was running late, I had 5 minutes to get changed and rush down for dinner.

I was then ignored by the lady at the registration desk who was too busy having a go at the catering guy who was pointing out that we were meant to sit down for dinner while she was concerned that many guests hadn't shown up yet. After a while, I got a bit bored, and just took my name badge. But the cloakroom attendant (who was right next to registration b*tch) informed me very politely that said b*tch would have to tick me off her list. So, I waited a bit more and then let her know that I'd taken my badge. Which she acknowledged with a dirty look. Seriously? If you don't want me here, don't bloody invite me! Or alternatively don't work in hospitality if you get stressed out so easily.

Dinner turned out to be a lovely affair though, with nice food and catching up with a lady who I had met in Harrogate and chatting in German to one of the Austrian hosts. Given that it was pancake day, I was a bit disappointed though that they didn't serve any :-(
But I suppose the Austrians might not have known about the pancake tradition.

With all my travelling, I've turned into a hotel snob: the Hilton Olympia is quite a basic hotel. All right, but nothing exciting
Austrian ham and asparagus; delicious lamb and tarte tatin
Have you heard of Zotter chocolates? It has unusual flavours. I haven't yet tried any of these - which were in the goody bag - but they all sound great to me: Almond-roses; 40% Santo Domingo; cashew nougat with meadow flowers; 70% Peru criollo; Creme Edelweiss

Later in the week, I had two coffee 'dates' with a couple of our suppliers. That's what I love about my job - meeting people and keeping in touch with them. Maybe, I should really be a socialite??! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment