Thursday 24 December 2015

bruised

About a month ago, I discovered a tiny lump in my left breast. By coincidence, I had an appointment at the dermatologist scheduled for the next day anyway, so I showed it to her. And she immediately sent me to the gynecologist for a check. Having lived in the UK for the last eight years, I didn't have a single breast-check during that time so of course I have no idea how long the lump had already been there.

After calling a couple of doctors who either didn't accept any new patients or only from January (the dermatologist had urged me to get it checked asap...), I found one where I got an appointment within a week. I went, had an ultrasound and got a referral for yet another ultrasound at the radiologists. So, I get an appointment there, the week after. They decide to also do a mammogram as well as the other ultrasound. Whatever she saw was not conclusive but she says I should come back for a check in three months time. I ask what the other options are and she says, she could also do a biopsy to get an immediate result. I ask how she decides what to do and she replies that it depends on the patient and that some people simply don't want to wait.

Well, I think, I am not worried. My logic is that if she is worried, she'll recommend the biopsy and otherwise, it's just unnecessary faff. So, I make an appointment for the end of February. I tell a couple of my friends who all think I should get it checked now. Better to know for certain than risk that it is cancer which doesn't get treated. They have a point.

So, I call back to ask for a biopsy. First I need another consultation with the doctor. Who also tells me I need a blood test first. Of course, I don't yet have a GP, so I find myself a GP, get a blood test done (results all good) and get the biopsy done. Under local anesthetics. The first injection hurts quite a little but it's over quickly. And then I don't feel anything. It is weird so to lie on that table half naked...

I then get bandaged up which is a little uncomfortable but otherwise feel fine.
The biopsy was done on Friday and I should get the result on Tuesday. On Tuesday, I call them after lunch time. The receptionist tries to put me through to the doc, who is busy though but I get told that I will get called back within 10 minutes. This is when I actually start worrying. All along, I felt pretty confident that it would be nothing. And not because I think I am invincible, simply because. And besides, worrying would not change the outcome. But the fact that the receptionist is not telling me anything, worries me.

The doctor calls back: preliminary result is negative but they are still doing more tests. Which she had said might happen if it was unclear. Not a great sign, I'd say. But she promises to call me back the next day.

I go back to not thinking about it, and get the call on Wednesday while out shopping: results negative but I should come for a check up in six months time.
Merry Christmas!

left with a bruised boob

No comments:

Post a Comment