Tuesday 15 December 2015

miracles

or How a mishap turned into something good.

I left work unusually upbeat last week. We had had a good interview in the afternoon and I generally felt, I had had a productive day. I was also looking forward to seeing the kids for the English tuition. I get to my car, then remember that my colleague had pointed out that one of my lights needed replacing. Key is already in the ignition, I get out again, the door falls shut. And then I hear the noise. The car locks itself automatically.
Like a fool, I try every single door. All of which are locked. And as you may have guessed: all my stuff is inside: my mobile, my flat keys, my purse. For a moment, I have no clue what to do next. A girl arrives, whose car is parked near mine. And she is lovely: offers her help and agrees to give me a lift back home. Once inside the car, we realize that we are actually work colleagues!

At home, I go to my neighbour who - after a long weekend away - is luckily back! I call the children's home to apologize and tell them I won't make it. He calls my landlady. Who is not home. He calls her brother. Who is home and who agrees to go over to his sister's to collect the spare key. My neighnour then drives me to a meeting point half way between us and the landlord, where we get the key. Back to my place to collect my spare keys, back to the car park to get my car. When we arrive, somebody has just driven out, so the gate is also open, so I run inside. And lastly: the battery had not yet died, despite the light having been switched on.

All done in just about an hour.
I hope it won't happen again.
But most of all, I am so grateful how easily it was all solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment