Thursday 26 April 2012

On top of the world

Well, not really. But one hundred feet above Kensington High Street in central London. I was invited by the Edinburgh International Conference Centre to a lunch in the Roof Gardens and Babylon Restaurant. Unfortunately, the actual gardens were not accessible to us, because of a wedding party. So, we didn't get to see the resident flamingos Bill, Ben, Splosh and Pecks. It was also windy and rainy, but on a beautiful day, I am sure it is amazing to be sitting on the outside terrace.

Here's what I picked from the set lunch menu:

Crispy Pork Belly
Pineapple and chilli caramel with fine herb salad
Nice, but could have been crispier. And I wouldn't call two pieces of pea shoots a 'salad'...
Linguine Pasta
With aubergine and cumin sauce, crème fraîche and Parmesan cheese
Interesting, especially the cumin taste. Relatively small portion, especially compared to the other mains. The lamb looked especially yummy!
Crème Caramel
With Calvados compressed apples
Nice. Tasted a bit too eggy. And again: 3 tiny slices of an apple don't qualify as 'apples' to me!


Service was - surprisingly - a bit on the slow side. I'm not complaining though - not least as it was an invite!
The decor was divine: the mirrors, sofas, tables, wallpaper. I'd love to move in there! And a fish tank in the bathroom. Very lovely indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment