Saturday 26 January 2013

My first Burns Supper

The Scottish Exhibition + Conference Centre (SECC) holds an annual Burns Supper at the Banqueting House in London. For those who don't know, Burns Supper celebrates the Scottish poet Robert Burns and are usually held on or near his birthday (25th January).

The supper has a number of slightly peculiar elements - like the address of the haggis. Everyone stands, when the chef brings in the haggis and someones recites the 'Address to the haggis'. I have to say that I didn't understand a single word of any of Burn's poems that were read throughout the night...

After dinner, somebody gives the Toast to the Lassies (=women) and then a lady replies with the Toast to the Laddies (=men). This year Kaye Adams (former presenter on Loose women) gave a very funny toast to the laddies.Until she got up to the stage, I hadn't actually spotted her...

Banqueting House is situated on Whitehall in Westminster, just a short walk from the Houses of Parliament and Trafalger Square. The Main Hall is very impressive, especially the ceiling paintings and the food was absolutely delicious. Haggis was served in the form of haggis filled ravioli - and fortunately didn't taste of offal at all!

In addition to the very nice food, more importantly, I really felt looked after. The people from the SECC and their partners from Visit Scotland and the Glasgow Convention Bureau made sure that the evening was very pleasant. I was introduced to people and was never just left by myself.

Overall, it was a fantastic evening - and I am very much looking forward to my trip up to Glasgow in a couple of weeks!


No comments:

Post a Comment