Sunday 21 December 2014

the bracelet

Other than watches, I am not a big fan of jewellery for/on men. I had noticed that I. was always wearing a silver bracelet. Personally, I think he is generally really nicely dressed but the bracelet stood out as a bit ... strange really.

Anyway, last week I finally dared to ask what the story behind that bracelet was. To be honest, I expected him to say that he simply likes it. I'm glad I did ask, as the story is really quite sweet: 10 or more years ago, he went to work in the US for a year. His wife wasn't able to join him but came to visit a few times. On one of those visits, he gave her a Navajo bracelet as a present. In exchange, she decided to give him the bracelet she was wearing. Which he's been wearing ever since and has never taken off (as opposed to his wedding ring, which he's taken off on occasions such as playing cricket). He kept emphasizing that this had not actually been an overly romantic gesture as apparently, that's not how their relationship works. Admittedly, I still think it's a little weird to wear a bracelet made for women - but the sentiment behind it is very cute, don't you think?

I also learned that I. has a hand for picking up great designer clothes at bargain prices from charity shops, that the Navajo bracelet fell apart quickly and that nobody had ever asked him about his bracelet!

No comments:

Post a Comment