Monday 26 January 2015

Hidden treasures

I have no willpower. It's quite sad really. I think my brain is programmed for short-term 'gains'/pleasures only.

Since Cape Town last summer, I've been trying to lose a few kgs with no success whatsoever. After my recent return from my holiday, losing weight has gone back on my resolution list for this year. And I am failing miserably so far.

Last Tuesday, I met B for dinner at the Southwark Rooms. Another tastecard deal that I would highly recommend. It's close to Menier Chocolate factory - and even though I had only been there last Friday, I managed to miss the restaurant and walked right past it... Thank God for google maps and smartphones!

It's quite a small and posh looking place, with very reasonable prices though (even without the tastecard), a great cocktail menu (just £7.45 - bargain in London!) and attentive and friendly service. Only downside was that it got very noisy as the place filled up - then again, that's an issue in most places in London. If you go for an early-ish dinner at 18:00, you should be fine.
My Pink Cello* cocktail went very well with the steak and massive bowl of fries
*Absolut Raspberry, Limoncello, Malibu, apple juice, passion fruit & raspberry puree

On the way back to London Bridge station, I noticed this building, which is right next to Katzenjammers - the German Beergarden - but which I had never seen (note to myself: look up more often!):

Google reveals that this is the Hop Exchange,
a Grade II listed building, opened in 1867

No comments:

Post a Comment