Saturday 24 January 2015

Party like the Brits

After more than ten years in the UK, it finally happened: I forgot to eat dinner!

What a week it's been (feels like that most of the time these days...): ying and yang, light and dark and all of that stuff. To end the working week and to start the weekend, I ventured to Peckham for A's belated birthday party at Peckham Springs.

I don't tend to go to places in London that don't have a tube station, so I'd never been to Peckham and quite frankly, I had it down as one of the areas best avoided anyway... As one of my colleagues explained though, it's one of the up and coming places that attract hipsters. I'll fit right in, I thought! (not, of course...) Arriving at Peckham Rye Overground station, I was at first a little confused but eventually found the gate that leads to the bar. And yes: full of hipsters indeed!

It was a great night, bringing together A's friends from different friends-groups, all very lovely people! And one of the things that are quintessentially 'London' for me is that it simply doesn't matter who you are and what you are and what you wear and look like. It's just ok to be you.

Only on the way home, did I suddenly realize that I had skipped dinner! Maybe that's the key to starting my diet! The drinking might be counterproductive though...

No comments:

Post a Comment