Tuesday 23 April 2013

Irish library charm

One of the (I'm not sure whether to say many or few...) things I really appreciate about my job is the beautiful places it takes me once in a while. During the recent meeting in Dublin, we held a reception in the Long Room which is part of the Old Library of Trinity College Dublin.

The Old Library was built in the 18th century and is home of the Book of Kells - a 9th-century gospel manuscript - famous throughout the world - but I have to admit I had never heard of it....

From the exhibition a staircase leads up to the Long Room. And when you come up the stairs the view of this magnificent library is just overwhelming! I'm not sure what I expected, but the name 'Long Room' sounded a bit boring and very plain to me. But it's anything but plain. It houses 200,000 of the Library’s oldest books and the room is lined with a collection of marble busts.

My photos didn't turn out that great, so I strongly recommend going for a visit next time you are in Dublin.



No comments:

Post a Comment