Saturday 6 April 2013

Talk to me

I am one of these people (and I am sure this won't surprise you...), who usually walks around with a face that is generally interpreted as: STAY AWAY and DO NOT TALK TO ME!*

This is partly because my face seems naturally inclined to send out this message and partly because I usually do want to be left alone.

Nevertheless, on the few occasions that I have been to the US, I have always been very positively surprised by people's willingness to engage in friendly small-talk with complete strangers at any (or at least most) given opportunity. It's nice and also makes waiting at the check out queue or the bus stop more pleasant. I think part of the problem is that over here, I always expect people to have an ulterior motive when they approach me, which makes me very suspicious.

During the last few days, I have been trying to be more smiley when interacting with people and it turns out that having a friendly chat at my local sandwich shop or with the receptionist where I live, really cheers me up. So, I will definitely try to keep this up.**




* I would like to add that I do have an 'events-face', too, which comes in handy when I am working.
**Well, not during the morning rush hour - that would be too much to ask...

No comments:

Post a Comment