Monday 29 April 2013

Korean burritos and other Irish delicacies

As per usual, I spent most time inside the conference venue when I was in Dublin recently. But we were able to check out a few restaurants. One of them was ukiyo - a Japanese karaoke bar/restaurant in the city centre: "Ukiyo is a spiritual word in Japanese and pertains to floating on a higher plane, back here on Earth it resonates with care free and even hedonistic notions."

We sampled their very inexpensive lunch menu, which is generously served from 12:00-17:00 . My colleague had the sushi - which looked very nice, and I opted for the Korean and Mexican fusion burritos. You can select from a number of fillings, and I went with steak and egg - why not? I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was well worth it (not least for just €7!). The flavour of the filling was distinctly Korean - I am assuming there was some kimchi mixed in - and it went surprisingly well with the Mexican tortilla and the sour cream.

don't be fooled by the picture - it was a big portion!



Another highlight was this (unfortunately, I cannot remember the restaurant's name):


This was a very interesting mix of two of my favourite foods: breaded veal (SCHNITZEL-alert!) with mac'n cheese, cauliflower on the side and a kind of pesto on top: really nice!

Last but not least, here's the starter and dessert from the conference dinner we held at the Round Room at the Mansion House (the Mansion House being the residence of the Lord Mayor of Dublin). As the room was quite dark, none of my photos turned out very nice - but I would recommend it for evening dos! (and I simply forgot to take a picture of the main, which was steak with celeriac & truffle mash and asparagus)

Warm Goat's Curd & Roast Butternut Squash tart

Glazed Lemon Tart with Glenilen Yoghurt Cream & Lime Puree


No comments:

Post a Comment