Friday 3 May 2013

Not keen on anagrams

I really enjoyed 'The Fault in our Stars' and 'Looking for Alaska' - both by John Green. So I was looking forward to 'An Abundance of Katherines':


Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it all that much. It definitely had its funny moments, but overall, I found it too predictable and the constant 'anagramming' (one of the main character's (Colin) pastimes... ) got a little on my nerves. Maybe it was just that I didn't like Colin very much.

Colin has only ever had relationships with Katherines. 19 to be precise. Do bear in mind though that he is only a teenager and quite a few of those 'relationships' were very short lived (some just a few hours...). He is also a child prodigy and is aiming to develop a formula (tried and tested on his 19 relationships) that will predict the future of any relationship.

I think overall, I didn't find the characters believable enough to connect with them. And I am also wondering whether I am not really the target audience for his books... Anyway, if I had to recommend one of his books, it would definitely be 'The Fault in our Stars' (which to be perfectly honest has its unbelievable moments, too, but who cares? :-))



No comments:

Post a Comment