Sunday 30 June 2013

Admiring my handicraft

As a teenager, I dabbled in sewing on my Mum's sewing machine. Results were a wrap-around skirt in tartan fabric and a bag. After a few more failed attempts, I gave up. Which really is a pity. For years now, I've been meaning to do some sewing classes. Cause it would be so cool, if I was able to design and sew my own clothes!

Finally, I made the first step and attended a cushion-making class as the Sew over it cafe in Clapham (a 5 minute walk from Clapham North station). Lisa, the owner of this great place, was giving the three hour class. We were a group of eight women and first up, we all got to choose from a vast variety of fabrics the one for our cushion cover. Lisa talked us through every step and was on hand to give valuable advice (I nearly made half the cushion cover inside out...). Threading the machine and ironing the seams in a straight line proved to be quite challenging... I do wonder though whether I would need to be more of a perfectionist to really take up this hobby.

It was good fun and it was great to have a finished product to take home! And isn't the fabric pretty?


Last but not least, we finished the class with producing some fabric covered buttons. So easy, too! I just need to work out what to use them for/on.



No comments:

Post a Comment