Saturday 8 June 2013

The Break-Up

I love Jennifer Aniston. And I like Vince Vaughn. And I kind of like the film 'The Break-Up' (which was on TV last night). I say kind of because I find it rather sad to watch.

I have to confess that I generally like films with a non-happy ending which possibly is evidence for me being a miserable person... I don't like to admit it, but sad endings do make me feel better about my own life. Not exactly an endearing trait, but no harm done, right?

Interestingly though, for once, I actually wish for a happy ending to this story (this might well be related to my love of Jennifer A...). It's so sad to watch how stupid squabbling leads to a break-up. How both partners wait too long to overcome their silly pride to save their relationship. How this can lead to losing the person you still love. And I just want to shake them both and tell them to just tell each other how they feel. And tell them that it can't be that hard to keep making an effort to try to make the other person happy.

And while it's so easy to see from the outside, it feels so painfully familiar: the frustration, the lack of empathy, the misunderstandings and being overly self-involved at times. And how can this happen? When it all starts out filled with happiness and love? I haven't figured it out.

I might be naive but I am still hopeful that things can be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment