Monday 17 June 2013

Let's read

In another attempt to motivate myself to read more and also to meet new people, I have joined another book club. And the first book we read, was The Catcher in the Rye. While I had heard of the book and was aware that it is considered a classic, I didn't actually know what it is about.

It's JD Salinger's first and only novel and was published in 1951.
Wikipedia says:
"Between 1961 and 1982, The Catcher in the Rye was the most censored book in high schools and libraries in the United States.[27] In 1981 it was both the most censored book and the second most taught book in public schools in the United States.[28]"

The book is written from the main character's - Holden Caulfield - point of view. He's in that in-between place between being a teenager and growing into an adult. With the typical hallmark of feeling like an adult - but still not really being one.

I really enjoyed reading the book. It being a classic, I had worried that it would be difficult to read. But not least as it's written from Holden's perspective, that's not the case. I felt that Salinger captured the mood and thoughts very poignantly and I could identify very much with Holden. The tough and superior exterior, and all the insecurity underneath. Not fitting in and turning that into a virtue. Feeling lost and lonely in the world that you despise to a certain extent while hankering for it all the same.

On this occasion, we were only a group of five discussing the book. Two of us loved the book, two thought it was OK, even if not brilliant and one didn't like it at all.

Next we are reading We need to talk about Kevin. Have started it, and I'm finding that one really hard to read. A little bit ironic - as I am finding her nested sentences rather difficult (plus the vocabulary - I don't know what half the words mean...). When I should really be used to those kind of sentences from the German language... where very often a whole paragraph - or even a page - consists of just one sentence!

No comments:

Post a Comment