Tuesday 3 March 2015

Finally

I can't even remember when I started with this book but it's taken me months to get through... And because I had such long breaks in between reading, I wasn't really able to appreciate the book as much as I would have otherwise, I think.


In the end, I just wanted to finish it. And now that I'm done, I feel like reading it again (I won't though...). Rosemary grows up with her sister Fern and brother Lowell. When Rosemary is just 5, Fern disappears. Only on page 77 it is revealed that Fern is a chimpanzee. And as part of scientific experiments, Fern was meant to be raised within a human family. The story goes back and forth and deals with the effects this experiment and it's abrupt end had on the whole family. It also deals with how we deal with our own memories, how what we remember might not be was actually happened and how life forms us into what we are and how we behave and think. 

So, all in all really interesting topics. The revelation that Fern is a chimpanzee certainly came as a big surprise to me. But somehow, I found myself struggling to get through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment