Saturday 28 March 2015

Literary Death Match

... came back to London. After I thoroughly enjoyed episode 43 last year, I was really looking forward to this one, especially as Lionel Shriver was one of the judges! Who had cycled to the venue! I LOVE London...

In round 1, Rosie Garland did a fabulous reading from her book Vixen. While it's not a book I'd be inclined to read, her performance was pretty spectacular. And it brought her the victory over Matthew Plampin who was reading from Will & Tom. Another book I wouldn't consider reading... And I am not sure he picked the best passage to read out.

In round 2, Andrea Bennett did her very first ever public reading (her nerves did not show though!) from her first novel Galina Petrovna's Three-Legged Dog Story. Which won over Will Hodgkinson's memoir The house is full of yogis. Two pretty funny books and personally, I would have voted for Will's book, I think.

The judges:
Lionel Shriver was very kind when it came to literary merit, Andrew Hunter Murray was hilarious judging performance and Alex Edelman on intangibles was random and funny.

In the final round, Rosie and Andrea had to spell authors' name and now I cannot even remembered who won....

Literary Death Match runs events all over the world - go and check them out, if you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment