Monday 9 May 2016

The art of being lazy

I used to be an expert couch potato. And enjoyed life as such. It all changed a bit three or so years ago and while I am still convinced that I am a lazy person deep down, I am now in the strange situation that I cannot fully enjoy my laziness anymore.

I didn't have any plans on Sunday. I spent quite a bit of time on my balcony, read through an entire book, did a bit of jewellery making (literally 15 minutes, which doesn't really count in my books...) and maybe an hour on painting. As well as watching episodes of Grandma's house. And I mention the latter, cause I also watched mindless nonsense on TV - which doesn't count as an activity at all to me.

I signed up for a couple of online courses, which - while really interested in the topic - I haven't yet started. I have a gym membership and a bike. There is admittedly a lack of options (when compared to London) in this area, and I am still not confident about driving anywhere - but even here I could have filled my Sunday with more stuff.

Instead, I was lazy, justifying it by telling myself that it's ok to be lazy once in a while. But still not enjoying it. I wonder whether the bottom line is, that once I had started doing stuff (a lot of it was simply eating out!), I realized how much I enjoyed it, and so much more than sitting on the sofa and watching re-runs of 'Come dine with me'. I'd like to think that this is part of a carpe diem mindful mindset. Now I simply have to get better at actually doing things again.

2 comments:

  1. I still find it so hard to believe that you used to be a couch potato! I definitely find that because I am so active I really enjoy my lazy days. And your day wasn't lazy - I think that reading on your balcony and jewellry making mean that this isn't lazy day at all. Just a relaxing day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - I wonder whether I need to relearn to enjoy relaxation! Especially as there is likely to be a lot of that from July onwards...

      Delete