Sunday 7 August 2016

French seams

My first French seams! I have to admit that I had never bothered to check how exactly you actually do French seams - and they are actually really easy*. As the fabric I was using is fraying like hell, I figured this would be a good move. Also a good opportunity to FINALLY unpack the overlocker. And try to figure out how to work it as there are a few seams that need overlocking.

The whole project was a pain. I couldn't make sense of the instructions and actually changed quite a few things. Scared of ruining the fabric, I decided to use press buttons thus avoiding sewing button holes.

Most annoyingly, after all the hassle, I am not sure I like the final garment very much. Having said that, I am pleased to say that the sewing mojo is back! Every time, I put things down to take a break or leave the rest for the next day, I went back to it after just a few minutes, eager to finish it off.

I still have to sew buttons and buttonholes to the cuffs. Not sure whether I will bother though as I prefer to have shirts unbuttoned anyway.


As it's difficult to see much on the photo above,
here's the pattern for the details

* well, the technique itself is easy. Putting into practice needs more practice for sure...as I saw in my next project. I'm on a sewing roll!
** unbuttoned cuffs - not generally unbuttoned!

No comments:

Post a Comment