Monday 22 August 2016

something different

A lot of my dresses tend to have a pencil skirt. I feel that A line skirts make my legs look shorter and bigger. Anyhow, I decided to try version C of the New Look 6184 pattern. I did a version with a pencil skirt nearly two years ago - which I incidentally have only worn once... Somehow the top doesn't fit quite well. An issue I also had this time. Unable to translate my measurement into the pattern pieces, I took a gamble with the zip - which simply looked horrible, as even a size 8 was too big on my upper body. I took another guess, and redid the zip and while it's far from perfect, it'll do.

I also keep having issues with pattern pieces not fitting together in length: When I sew the bodice to the skirt, they weren't quite matching. I wonder whether this is entirely due to sloppy cutting. I also had issues with the fabric at the bottom bit of the zip. But then again nobody will look too closely at my bum, I assume. And lastly, the bloody understitching did of course nothing to hold the neck facing in place on the inside, so I had to use a top-stitch. Other than that, I used French seams again, which are of course taking up more than double the amount of time, for having to do two seams instead of one and all the ironing in between. Clearly sewing is all about the output and not the journey for me... I so need to develop more patience!!!

As it turns out, I really like the flowy skirt on this version and I also like the lower neckline. The fabric is quite thin though and a little see-through, so I probably need to get a slipdress to wear underneath.
I like the look of the pattern pieces on fabric. I hate the pinning though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment