Sunday 14 August 2016

running out of wardrobe space....

I am LOVING my sewing machine at the moment. Mostly anyway. I also hate it quite a bit at times. But it's so nice to have finished another garment.

This time, I did a sleeveless version of the New Look pattern 6145. I made a version with sleeves two years ago, as one of my first projects.

I used bias binding on the armholes instead of the armhole facing the way it was described in the pattern and they turned out rather well, I think. I had issues with inserting the zip. Firstly, I have a terrible memory for things and keep having to revisit techniques even though I have used them before. This time, I used this tutorial and it went quite well, except for the bottom of the zip, which I just couldn't get right and couldn't work out either why the result looked shit. In the end, I did a bit of handsewing and I think it worked.

The neck facing was also much too long. No idea how that happened. I can't imagine that I would have accidentally cut out a wrong size... I again used French seams, which turned out lovely. I had shortened the dress a little, taking my existing dress as a guide, but I now feel that it turned out a little too short. It somehow 'feels' shorter than it looks in the picture. If that makes any sense...

Overall, I am very happy with the result :-)


close up of my French seams and my bias binding armholes

No comments:

Post a Comment