Thursday 16 August 2012

Richie at the Globe

I recently won popcorn. I'm a little obsessed with competitions and will fill in anything that is free to participate in. Unfortunately, the popcorn got delivered to the office while I was on leave. By the time I returned, my dear colleague(s) had eaten it all... Not impressed!!

All this to say, that I was especially delighted, when - shortly after having read the email that I had won the popcorn and then finding out, it was all gone already - I received an invitation to see Richard III at the Globe Theatre, courtesy of the Grange Hotels London.

The evening started off with champagne and yummy canapes at the Grange St Paul's hotel before we headed over the Millennium Bridge to the theatre. We had seats and cushions and blankets and a free programme. All of which saved my night! I have no idea how anyone can stand through 2.5 hours of a play without even being able to lean against anything. Even though I had a seat and a cushion underneath my bum, my neck was aching badly by the end of it, as there was no back rest...

I have never read Richard III and without the programme book, I'm not sure whether I would have been able to follow the story. I probably understood only half of what was said, which was highlighted by the fact that people were laughing - and I had no idea what about.

Having said that, I still enjoyed the experience. The theatre is impressive and the actors were just great! Richard III was played by Mark Rylance and he was fabulous. Mark was actually meant to be in the Olympics Opening Ceremony but withdrew after his stepdaughter sadly passed away. Roger Lloyd Pack - who plays Trigger in Only Fools and Horses and Bart Crouch Senior in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire* - played the Duke of Buckingham.

Overall a great night out, but I don't think I will return to the theatre any time soon. I prefer a little comfort...



*I admittedly have never watched a full episode of Only Fools and Horses, nor have I seen the Harry Potter film....

No comments:

Post a Comment