Saturday 30 March 2013

Aladdin in three acts

The Birmingham Royal Ballet brought Aladdin to the London Coliseum, home of the English National Opera. Our seats were up on the balcony and views were surprisingly good!

The ballet was split in three parts. The first part was rather long, I thought, and was primarily taking place in the cave that Aladdin finds himself in and where he discovers the magic lamp. My knowledge of Aladdin is of course solely based on the Disney movie - and I didn't think that bit was quite as elaborate... After the second part, at the end of which he marries Jasmine, I actually expected it to end...

But despite it being a bit too long for my liking (once again: I have the attention span of a toddler...), it was a fabulous show! The costumes and the stage setting were outstanding with so many incredible details. Amazing how much you can do and what illusions you can create! I also really enjoyed the dancing and the music. Sometimes there was so much going on, that I didn't know where to look!


the beautifully decorated ceiling in the entrance area of the Coliseum

Still early on - in case you are wondering about all the empty seats

even though the curtain is still down, it already gives you a hint of what's to come

It also made me want to watch the Disney movie again!


No comments:

Post a Comment