Sunday 27 November 2016

it's not me

I tend to reply quickly to messages including work emails. Always have done. Not only out of courtesy but also because a massive inbox would stress me out enormously. As a consequence, I of course have a subconscious expectations that others operate in the same way. The argument being: surely you have a few seconds to reply to me. Even if it's sending a holding note. So, when people/friends don't, I immediately relate it to myself. Cause the only times that I take my time with responding there is always a personal reason. Well, mostly anyway. And despite rationally knowing that people are different and operate differently, I keep falling into the trap of assuming everyone is like me (wishful thinking! ;-)).

And that's one of the things I really appreciate about my friend S. She reminds me in no uncertain terms to re-think my thinking. It's not (necessarily) anything to do with me. If something is important to me, I should simply send another message. Otherwise just accept that everyone has a life they are getting on with and not jump to conclusions about what that might or might not say about my relationship with that person.

It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment