Wednesday 14 November 2012

My legs are too short

... for my chair.
Today our work space was being assessed with view to improving the way we work at our desks.

I have a horrible posture, especially when sitting in front of the computer. Considering that I spend a good eight hours a day in front of the PC, I really should make much more of an effort to change this. I suffer from lower back ache as it is, and can get quite tense shoulders and neck ache, too.

First off, we removed the arm rests from my chair. This enabled me to increase the height of the chair while still being able to sit close enough to the desk. Sitting higher, I now need a footrest though. She also suggested moving the angle of my screen and moving my phone to my left side, so I can more easily hold the receiver with my left hand, while taking notes. For my relatively regular lengthy telecalls, she also advised me to get a handfree-headset.

And last but not least, she noted that the seat was too long (= my legs are too short) which contributes to me usually sitting right on the edge of the seat. So, with a new shorter seat, I should be able to lean against the back rest which should help with sitting more comfortably.

It's going to be interesting to see whether I will be able to stick to the new sitting regime and how long until I notice any positive changes. In any case, there will always be a good reason to get a back massage anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment