Tuesday 31 July 2012

Danny Boy

aka Danny Boyle.

I actually left London to enjoy the Opening Ceremony in Kent. I wonder whether I would have been able to see the fireworks from the flat. In any case, I really enjoyed it. I don't think I watched the Bejing Opening Ceremony. To be honest, I don't remember anything about the last Olympics. This might have been because I didn't have a telly at the time. But I can't be sure...

Danny did a wonderful job. I kept thinking from an events manager's point of view: how on earth can you orchestrate all this? All the different elements that perfectly came together - including all the children who were involved. And just generally so many volunteers.

What I loved most:
  • the hill with the tree at the top - I'm trying to convince my partner that we need to replicate it in the garden
  • the Queen and James Bond making their entrance - she does have a sense of humour (even if she can't bring herself to smile)
  • the fact that young people lit the flame (bookies will have to pay back all the money they took for bets on who was going to light the flame; Steve Redgrave claimed until 30 minutes before the start that he didn't know anything. A secret well kept!)
  • the fact that the Olympic flame is made up of many small flames
  • watching all the teams coming into the stadium and commenting on their outfits. Classic baby blue and pink for the Germans - well, I guess we are not particularly known for a good dress sense...

Fingers crossed and the Germans will manage to catch up with bringing home some medals. At least 'we' (I'm aware my contributions have been invaluable...) finally managed to get the first one today!



No comments:

Post a Comment