Monday 9 July 2012

The facts

  • 29 times safer than driving in a car
  • 18 times safer than staying at home (!!)
  • 10 times safer than being at work
  • 8 times safer than walking down the street
  • 4 times safer than travelling by train
flying

In 1996 the death rate was at 0.03 per million passengers.

I recently attended a British Airways 'Flying with Confidence' course at Gatwick airport. I was very much in two minds about this. Rationally, I already KNOW that my fear of flying and of dying in a plane crash is irrational. So, will it make a difference to listen to people telling me just that?

The course took place on a Saturday. 'Check in' started at 8:45 and I was surprised just how many people were attending. I had expected a small workshop style day with maybe 20 other people. But instead there were probably 120 people. According to statistics apparently 20% of people are scared of flying and 16% are scared of death (I certainly would have expected the latter to be much higher!).

In the first part, a pilot was explaining the how the plane manages to stay up in the air, what the different noises are and how pilots go through extensive training and have to go for regular check-ups in the simulator.
And: Turbulence is not dangerous, they are only uncomfortable.

In the second session, a psychologist was explaining the various reasons that can cause fear of flying as well as teaching breathing and relaxation exercises. Unfortunately, I was so tired by this stage (and I have the attention span of a toddler, when it comes to sitting in a lecture theatre just listening to people...), that as soon as I closed my eyes, I had to fight falling asleep, so didn't actually follow any of her instructions...

The course ended with a 45 minute flight down to Southampton, back via Brighton. In addition to the usual crew, addition staff was on board to be on hand for those who needed some extra reassurance. A small group of people didn't make it onto the plane - among others, the lady who was sat next to me but decided she couldn't go through with it. So I ended up sitting by myself... It was also a little disconcerting when a lady two rows behind me shouted: Get me out of here - just as the plane had started rolling... She made it through the flight though with the help of a stewardess who was comforting her throughout the flight.

It was a weird experience being sat on a plane and knowing that everyone around you is similarly terrified as yourself. Throughout the flight, a pilot was sitting in the cockpit with the two flying pilots and explained everything that was going on. One of the things that had always scared me, was the bit just after take off, when the engine seemed to switch off. They explained, that the power of the engine is reduced at that stage, so it's perfectly normal that the engine noise goes down.

Since the course, I've been on two more flights. I still don't love it and would prefer any other means of transport, but it has gotten better. And I even find myself enjoying looking out of the window, enjoying the beautiful sky. Before, I would have always picked an aisle seat and looking out of the window, made me feel even more queasy.

The course cost £249 and I would definitely recommend it. Other airlines, such as Virgin, offer similar courses. I picked the BA one simply cause they had a course coming up immediately.





No comments:

Post a Comment