Sunday 30 September 2012

Airport - part II

Unless you want to spend some extra money on getting an allocated seat with Ryan Air, you will have to join the queue. And the queue starts forming early. I am usually not bothered about where I sit, especially when flying alone. But this time I only had hand luggage - to save my employer £50 - and as most people are trying to save money, it becomes a bit of a hassle to find space for one's suitcase.

When I arrived there already was a considerable queue - which doubled by the time we were ready to board. When this joker comes along and thinks it's a good idea to jump the queue. In all fairness he asked the girl behind me, whether it would be OK, to just sneak in in front of her. For some unknown reason, she said yes. To then complain about it in German to her friends. Joker-boy wanted to know whether there was a problem. When he then informed her that he had done this LOADS of times and always got away, I gave him a piece of my mind: I asked him whether he was proud of it and tried to explain that this really wasn't very fair to all the other people in the queue behind him. He then came up with some nonsense about having had bad news that morning. By that time I had lost interest in the conversation, so spared him the news that jumping the queue wouldn't get him to Graz any quicker.

He also had two bags and of course he was asked to put one bag inside the other, as they are really strict about just one piece of hand luggage. He then started arguing with the airline guy that there were only newspapers in that bag. And that matters because???

I was just glad he wasn't sitting next to me on the plane. He was just really annoying (you had to be there...).

To top off the day, it was pissing down with rain Graz (wonderful, especially after leaving sunny London). And the heavy rain clouds caused a bit of turbulence. When I say a bit, it was enough to freak out people around me. I was clawing my fingers into the armrest and was trying to distract myself.

While I felt incredibly uncomfortable during the experience, a feeling of relief prevailed after landing. so, there's progress! I would have normally been focusing on the fact that I still had to fly back and go through it all again. But instead it was more a feeling of: hey, this wasn't nice, but I survived!

I have a long-haul flight coming up in a few weeks. And I very much hope, I'll be OK and that this means, I can start planning far away holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment