Saturday 8 September 2012

French Pizza

Leo (my trusted online dictionary) says: 
Flammkuchen: Tarte Flambee - a kind of "French pizza" from Alsace made from a very thin layer of pastry topped with sour cream, chopped onions and bacon

In Germany, I only ever had the frozen, ready-made variety, as I generally shied away from baking. It all seemed too complicated. I've meanwhile conquered my fear of the oven (more or less, at least), and I've made my own Flammkuchen a few times now. And it's actually really easy to make, tastes great - even if it's not particularly healthy (with the bacon and sour cream...).

I'm using a Chefkoch recipe. Here it is in English:
  • 250g flour
  • 2 teaspoons of oil
  • 100 ml water
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 pot of sour cream/creme fraiche
  • 200g of 'Speck'/diced bacon
  • 150g grated cheese
  • 1 onion

Make a dough out of the flour, oil, water and salt. Following some of the comments on Chefkoch, I used a bit more water than stated. I found the dough quite hard to roll out, and I would have preferred for it to be even thinner. But hey, it was still ok.
Then spread the sour cream on the dough and place the bacon, onion and cheese on top. Instead of grated cheese, I used a bit of feta cheese and sweetcorn. Just like with a pizza, you can really use whatever you like as toppings. I usually also sprinkle spices on top, such as pepper and herbs.

It then goes into the oven for about 10 minutes at 220 degrees.



No comments:

Post a Comment