Sunday 9 September 2012

Fiesta at the Southbank

I love Mexican food. MC not so much. But last weekend, I managed to get him to Wahaca.

Wahaca was founded by Thomasina Miers. "Tommi" won the BBC cooking competition show MasterChef in 2005, now has a TV show called 'Mexican food made simple' on Channel 5 and opened the first Wahaca restaurant in 2007. Since then, six more branches across London have been added. Wahaca offers Mexican Market Eating. We stumbled upon the Southbank branch on our walk along the Thames. The Wahaca Southbank Experiment is their most recent addition and will stay there for 18 months only before it moves on to another location. It's built from shipping containers and on the first floor, you can find a bar with great views over the Thames.

I picked two dishes from the Street Food Menu - British Steak tacos and the new potatoe taquito. MC ordered the fish burrito from the Platos Fuertes and a beetroot salad. I had a Horchata to go with it - an almond and rice milk with a sprinkling of cinnamon and MC ordered a Citrus Fizz Freshly crushed lime, torn mint & sparkling water. I really liked the Horchata, but the Citrus Fizz tasted primarily of sparkling water to me. The food was tasty, if a little too spicy for me (which is when the milk came in very handy). Staff was friendly but be prepared to having to share your table with other guests. The waitress also 'warned' us that the food was being freshly prepared and would be served whenever it was ready. Which meant that MC got his fish first and had also eaten half of his beetroot salad (which had been served second), before I even got my food... Not so sure whether this concept of bringing the food out in this way really works in a restaurant, where I would prefer to eat with my fellow diner/s. In any case, the food is good, the prices are low and even MC agreed to go back. Some time.



No comments:

Post a Comment