Thursday 6 September 2012

The Almost Moon - and don't always trust the Amazon reviews

After Ravens, this is another example of a book I really liked - with not very good reviews on Amazon. So, judge for yourselves!

The Almost MoonThe Almost Moon starts with the revelation that Helen, the protagonist, has killed her elderly mother. The book starts with the murder and then goes on to tell what happens in the next 24 hours as well as revealing Helen's relationship with her mother, from early childhood onwards and her relationship with her ex-husband and children.

It's certainly not a classic story to "enjoy". But I was drawn into it and it didn't want to put it down as I wanted to find out more about Helen and her mother.
I didn't experience what Helen went through with her mother/family, but I could still relate to a lot of the emotions she went through. It didn't justify murdering her mother - there would have been so many other solutions. But I felt that I could understand why she had gotten to that point.

I feel that parents have a massive responsibility towards their children. And while they still have their own life to live, I feel that their children's welfare should always come first and there is no justification in the world for some of the things that parents put their children through. If you can't cope - get help! If not for your own sake, then for your children's sake.

Alice Sebold is also the author of Lucky and The Lovely Bones. The latter was made into a film directed by Peter Jackson.

No comments:

Post a Comment