Saturday 2 August 2014

Resting bitch face

I wasn't familiar with this term until my (young and hip) colleague explained this to me: apparently 'The Little One' (her affectionate nickname for one of the delegates) suffers from resting bitch face, which basically means that his 'natural' facial expression is one of utter discontent and/or mean and judgmental. I have to say that I never saw it, but I can say that it must be in stark contrast to his very friendly expression when you talk to him. I'd go as far to say that he's got a cheeky twinkle in his eye.

Anyhow, it's safe to say that I suffer from the same problem. Can't remember whether I mentioned this before, but I've started my (work) coaching sessions and the first meeting was all about my communication skills. Or rather lack of. In particular my non-verbal skills. On the upside, I can be rather good at communicating when I choose to. Only that in the office environment, more often than not, I choose not to make much of an effort. Not that this is generally a conscious decision though.

So, for now it's been my 'homework' (well work-work really) to at least pay attention to what my face does, my posture and my gestures. I'm finding it quite interesting and also easy to make changes. Well, I'd least I like to think that I've made changes. It remains to be seen whether they are recognized by others.

2 comments:

  1. This went viral last year which explains it well :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v98CPXNiSk

    ReplyDelete