Sunday 24 August 2014

Wembley. Finally

Nearly exactly 15 years to the day. That's for how long I've known D. We did the same course at uni and met during Freshers' week. He lived in the same student accommodation (Grange Halls - now renamed 'The village') and was one of the first people I met. And the only person from those days that I am still in touch with. When I first moved to England, I was very much doubting my own sanity: I was crying my eyes out on the flight to Manchester - what was I thinking??? It's safe to say that D played a major role in never even being homesick (once I'd dried those tears...)!

Nowadays he works for the Rugby League and after I was busy getting my tattoo last year, I was able to accompany him to the Rugby Challenge Cup final this year. Admittedly, I would have preferred watching Germany play football at Wembley - but hopefully that day will also come!

I'd never watched a rugby (league) game before. But I can say I thoroughly enjoyed the experience! The game came with a whole VIP package: drinks reception followed by lunch in the Great Hall. Welcome speec by Brian Barwick; a Sky Sports reporter was compering (forgot the name, of course...) and interviewing Jason Robinson, Paul  Sculthorpe and Matthew Lewis. I really should have tried to get photos with or at least of all of them... Too bad, that I only googled them now...

Then we were off to watch the game. I'll be honest: I cannot see the appeal of PLAYING rugby: getting tackled hard every time you get the ball... But it was fun to watch. My favourite moment was of course when of the players got his pants pulled down! ;-) The atmosphere was amazing! I'd of course never been in a stadium this big - and 77,900 spectators can make much more noise than the ~25,000 at Falmer. I had goosebumps! And for those who are interested: Leeds Rhinos (23) won against the underdog Castleford Tigers (10). Finally - after Leeds having lost in the finals a few times...

We then returned to the Great Hall for coffee and cake. And beer, of course.

The cup being carefully guarded!
Leek and blue cheese tart; roast beef; white chocolate pannacotta

A beautiful day, too!
;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment